Keeping safe

If you are being abused in any way, there is help available for you.

Here are some things to consider doing:

  • Talk to someone you trust – a friend, relative, a domestic abuse helpline or advice service. They can help you think through what you want, without telling you what to do or judging you.
  • Make a report to the police – if you are experiencing domestic abuse or are worried about a friend or family member, help or advice is available from your local Specialist Domestic Abuse Investigator. They can be contacted through your local police station or by calling 101. Further information is also available through the GMP website at
  • Always call 999 if you find yourself in a situation where you are in immediate danger or when a crime is in progress.
  • If you decide you want to stay in your own home your local council housing officer or your Housing Association can provide you with practical help, whether you are an owner occupier, council, private or housing association tenant.

This help can include:

  • The Sanctuary Scheme which installs security measures, free of charge, in your home.
  • Home Alarms which can summon emergency help
  • Make a safety plan – this can help keep you and your children safe. Download a safety plan below: