Domestic abuse can leave people in debt or with very little money of their own. Moving home, either temporarily or permanently can be costly and replacing items that have either been damaged or left behind can seem like an impossible task, but help is available. If you have left your partner you may need to apply for new benefits or change your claims. If you have left your home temporarily, you may be eligible to have housing benefit paid on both properties while you wait to see if you can return.

The Domestic Abuse Helplines can put you in touch with domestic abuse advice workers. They can help with these problems by sorting out debts, applying for grants and loans and negotiating with housing providers over rent arrears and other financial problems.