There are a number of issues facing abused women with insecure immigration status, who may have entered the UK to join their settled partner or have restrictions due to their status i.e. seeking asylum, or have other types of visa. Some immigration laws and regulations make it extremely difficult for women experiencing domestic abuse to seek protection and safety. Help and advice is available from the helpline numbers above. The following organisations may also be able to help.
Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit
Tuesday mornings from 8.00. We do not provide advice other than during the
Drop In sessions which take place in the mornings. We can help to signpost or refer you to other agencies.
1 Delaunays Road, Crumpsall Green, Manchester, M8 4QS.
t 0161 740 7722 f 0161 740 5172
The Rights of Women
have an Immigration and asylum law advice line for advice on issues including:
- the rights of EEA nationals and their family members
- claiming asylum in the UK
- domestic violence and immigration law
- no recourse to public funds
Call 020 7490 7689 (telephone) or 020 7490 2562 (textphone) or 020 7490 2562 (textphone) on Mondays between 2pm-4pm and Wednesdays between 11am-1pm www.rightsofwomen.org.uk/
Safety4Sisters Migrant Women’s Rights to Safety Project
Safety4Sisters aims to highlight the issues affecting undocumented women experiencing gender based violence, challenge the injustices they experience and work towards improving services and support so that women can establish their basic human rights.
As part of our project we are running a weekly women’s group for migrant women who have “No Recourse to Public Funds” and / or who have insecure immigration status and who are experiencing domestic abuse.
Migrant Women’s Rights to Safety Project offers
- Rights based advice, advocacy & support
- Education & empowerment sessions
- User led development & production of a safety toolkit
- Advice, support & advocacy in a safe, women only, secular meeting space
- Non- judgmental, confidential support
- Access to information and use of office services/ phones, internet etc.
- Signposting to other specialist services
- Socializing and children’s corner
- Food, emergency provisions & travel expenses if necessary
Tuesdays from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Manchester City Centre,
Mobile no.: 07821540757
Landline: 0161 464 9505
Email: [email protected]
S4S operates Tuesdays and Wednesdays only, from 9:00- 5:00 pm, at all other times leave a message or email and when a worker is available, she will respond please phone us to find out more details about the group.
Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB)
Have a website that identifies situations where immigration or nationality advice may be needed and gives details of organisations that can help. !!!Adviceguide #missing link!!!